Sunday 18 September 2016

Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Whispered by Clara Cheng at 1:17 am

Publication Date: August 15th 2013
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance
Owned, Paperback, 418 pages

Synopsis:
Crowned by Evil.
Bound by Duty.
Divided by Love.

Celaena Sardothien, royal assassin, is the King of Adarlan's deadliest weapon. She must win her freedom through his enemies' blood - but she cannot bear to kill for the crown. And every death Celaena fakes, every lie she tells, put those she loves at risk.

Torn between her two protectors - a captain and a prince - and battling a dark force far greater than the king, Celaena must decide what she will fight for: her liberty, her heart or the fate of a kingdom...

My Review: ★★★★

"When you do, I want you to remember that it wouldn't have made any difference to me. It's never made any difference to me when it came to you. I'd still pick you. I'll always pick you."

This sequel to Throne of Glass delivered the best of it to me - action packed, swoon-worthy romance, inevitable heartbreaks and grief, substantial characters development, all of it. I could still smell the intensity hovering in the air when I turned to the last page.

We'd seen so much more in Celaena now. Underneath her femininity, she had gone through tough years and losses that caused her to live in severe pain, which she had built a high wall with a facade, and learnt to be the deadliest weapon to protect herself from vulnerability. Every piece of characteristic was delicate, aesthetic and beautifully written, especially the grief and loss she experienced in this book, as if I was feeling it too, slowly swallowed me bit by bit from the inside.

"The rest of the world quieted into nothing. In that moment, after ten long years, Celaena looked at Chaol and realized she was home."

The story strengthened my irrevocable affection for Chaol. I might have squealed a little when the ship started sailing, and I was on the brink of an overwhelming heartbreak when it began to sink. Even though Celaena was oftentimes ruthless and unmerciful, that was entirely not the case when it came to Chaol. He was kind, considerate, protective, loyal - everything a boyfriend material needs. He melted my heart just as he melted Celaena's, and it hurt me more than ever when the plot was twisted to the other way round.  

Dorian was sweeter in this sequel if that was even possible. I could absolutely sense that his character apparently has so much potential in the upcoming books, which had tremendously heightened up my anticipation towards the rest of this series, and leveled up my adoration for him, too.

In a nutshell, this book was one vehement journey that allowed us to take a glimpse of how huge the world building actually is for the entire series. You'll be pleasantly surprised. I solemnly promise.


Perfect for this book:


Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each other's warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go

Still with feet touching
Still with eyes meeting
Still our hands match
Still with hearts beating


With love,
post signature

3 lovely confession(s):

Cait on 18 September 2016 at 05:42 said...

I'm SO glad you loved this one!! It's one of my favorites :)

Bookishsmaug on 18 September 2016 at 17:42 said...

oh Clara, this is amazing! I'm not a fan of the TOG series but Chaol is EVERYTHING to me <3

Diva Booknerd on 21 September 2016 at 16:51 said...

Wasn't it awesome Clara! I think Crown of Midnight is the real turning point in the series, in the next one she really comes into her own. I loved Chaol's character too, he's so gruff and brooding but incredibly passionate at the same time. Ohhh swoooon! Thrilled you're enjoying the series so far and looking forward to seeing what you think of book three. Awesome review! <3 <3

 

♥ La Sourire